Crow Wing Power’s Electric Vehicle Pilot Study has started, and you can be a part of it!
Members who own an electric vehicle are eligible to participate in our EV (Electric Vehicle) pilot study! Our goal is to prepare for the widespread arrival of EVs.
What is the pilot program striving to discover?
- How and when members choose to charge their vehicles.
- Are dedicated Off-peak charge times acceptable?
- How much does charging affect home wiring?
- EVs impact on the electrical distribution system.
What is in it for the Members?
- Participating members receive a $10 per month credit on their electrical bill during the pilot. Once the pilot program is completed, the member will be eligible for a special EV Charging Rate (to be determined).
What does it take to participate?
- Member will install a dedicated meter base at their own expense.
- A Level 2 EV Charger will be installed by the member and connected to the dedicated meter.
- Pilot program is for street legal cars and trucks only.
- Members with Solar/Wind Net Metered accounts, please contact Crow Wing Power to discuss alternate metering option.
- Members are encouraged to install a timer that controls the EV Charger, or program the car’s charging system, with the intent to primarily charge during off-peak times (10:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m.). Daytime or On-Peak charging is allowed as needed.
What are Level 1, Level 2, and Level 3 chargers?
- Level 1 is the easiest charging method as most EVs come with this standard charger that plugs into a typical household 120 volt outlet. Level 1 charging provides 3-4 miles of range per hour of charging.
- Level 2 charging is a more convenient charging method and provides 15-30 miles of range per hour of charging. Level 2 chargers are hard wired or plug into a 240 volt outlet.
- Level 3 chargers are often called DC Fast Chargers. Typically, these are installed in commercial or industrial settings. Contact Crow Wing Power for this option.
How are Level 2 chargers wired to the EV Meter?
To sign up for the EV Pilot Study or if you have questions, please call Crow Wing Power at 829-2827 or 800-648-9401 and ask for Jeff Wohlert or Luke Christiansen.